Monday, April 12, 2010

TOPIARY WITH A TWIST...

so...i found these cute little buckets in the dollar spot at target...and the wheels started turning...i wanted to do a topiary...but not your ordinary one...i grabbed a bath scrubbie and started to create!...now...i filled the bucket up with bath confetti...but you can put whatever in it!...candy, bath salts, anything you can think of!...topped this little cutie off with a butterfly from the give a hoot cart...but again...whatever you want to slap on there...got for it!...




wanna know how it's done?...well...here's a tutorial that i whipped up...

you'll need...
wooden dowel cut at 9"
ribbon to cover dowel...or paint it...whichever is easiest...
empty cardboard ribbon thingie (sorry for the technical term...lol)
ribbon for bow
whatever goodies to fill bucket...
embellies to make it look purty
bucket...i know this isn't the one in the rest of the tutorial...had to take a pic afterwards...so think of this as a stunt bucket...

Photobucket

you also need:
heat gun
oops...forgot the shrink wrap...but you'll need that or cello
glue gun
bath scrubbie
plastic wrap, paper towels, or whatever to use as a pre filler

Photobucket


first you want to prep the wooden dowel...i covered with ribbon...but you can certainly paint it...

Photobucket


next..you'll want to take empty ribbon thingie and hot glue the dowel into the hole...i actually do this when it's inside the bucket...just push the ribbon thingie as far down as it'll go...then insert the dowel...make sure it's straight and hot glue away...

Photobucket


then...you'll want to take either your saran wrap or whatever you're using to kinda fill in before adding your goodies...you know...something to take up space...other than our husbands!...ohhh...sorry...i just had to...

Photobucket


now it's time to add the goodies...like i said...i used bath confetti...but sky's the limit on what you want to use...

Photobucket


fill all the way to the top...

Photobucket


here's what you should have...a headless topiary...nevermind the mess...just focus on the project...hee hee...

Photobucket


now you'll take your shrink wrap...making sure that it'll cover the sides of the bucket all the way to underneath it...find the center of it...and cut a tiny circle...just big enough to fit around the dowel...i folded it in half...used a hole punch...and then trimmed a little bit more to get the size i needed...slip the dowel through the hole and slide all the way until it's flat on the confetti...

Photobucket


this is the point where you'll take all the shrink wrap and smooth down the sides of the bucket and tape underneath...then you'll take your heat gun and shrink away...but you can certainly use cello for another look!...you'll just cut a square big enough...gather up and tie!...now this pic is post shrinking...but you can see how it's taped underneath...only heat up the sides and top...don't worry about the bottom...if it's not sitting level...then maybe hit it with some heat...

Photobucket


take your bath scrubbie and put on top of dowel...

Photobucket


add your butterfly (woah...where'd his antennae go?) and bow at base and you're done!...

Photobucket



***like i said before...anything is interchangeable with the project!...i just wanted to keep with a bath type theme...so that's why i used the confetti...also...i mentioned that you can you cello to wrap it up...since the bow's at the base (cleverly disguises the hole) it's nothing to have it gathered up with a bow!...let me know if you have any questions!...or if my directions were crappy!...

31 comments:

LorraineB said...

Hello Friend!!! What a great gift idea! Thanks for sharing.
LorraineB

2 Ducky said...

Another creative suggestion. I was just looking at a food network mag this morning with a topiary and I think they used cupcakes? Anyhoo... Was just thinking how cute it is when people think outside the box, and then I see that you went ahead and did just that! LOL! Great job - Looks amazing.

Crafty Carrie said...

That is a great idea and so very cute. It would make really cute gifts for a wedding shower give away. I am going to have to remember this.

flowerdisco said...

you are so clever and hilarious too


(you'll want to take either your saran wrap or whatever you're using to kinda fill in before adding your goodies...you know...something to take up space...other than our husbands!...ohhh...sorry...i just had to...)

LMAO

Jena said...

I love how your creative mind works and that you are so kind to share it with us!!!!

Kristi said...

Love this! Thanks for sharing all your creative ideas with us!

erin lee creative said...

This is really friggin cute! Love your blog!

Melissa said...

Wow - this is so cool!! TFS

Cindy said...

What a cute idea! It would make wonderful shower center pieces and then door prizes. Thanks for the instructions.

Stephanie said...

Oooh! I have girls with birthdays coming up! These would be great to give out at the party!!

Great tutorial!! Thank you!

Brenda said...

I love this! You come up with such outta-the-box ideas!! Now I have to see if I can find some buckets :)
Thank you for sharing and the instructions. :)

Java Jen's Creations said...

Very cool idea! Thanks so much for sharing!! I love your blog!

paperscissors said...

love the laughter you create here along with your projects!!!lol!

CuddlyBunny said...

Your ideas are so cool. Did you know? So. Cool! :)

Anonymous said...

Girl, you have the most amazing ideas. Thanks for sharing. Your project turned out great.

Lolliscraps said...

Such a great idea!

Raquel SK said...

As always, you never disappoint. Very clever indeed!

Kerie's Kafe said...

I love this..... so much I made some of my own, you can see them on my blog @ kerieskafe.blogspot.com

Thank you for all your creative ideas!!!!

Deirdre said...

Love all your projects- and your wonderful descriptions and instructions! Thanks for sharing!

Jean said...

I love this. It is such a great gift idea. Thanks for sharing!

Kala K said...

I love it!! Can you tell me where I can find shrink wrap?

greenbean said...

you can get the shrink wrap at m's!...it's over with cello!...make sure to use your coupon!...

sluna2 said...

Thanks for the idea, I loved to show you what I made. I can't see to get through your contact button. from sara... sluna2@zoominternet.net

Kat's Purrfect Boutique said...

This is so cute! I just love it. You could use it as a decoration for tables at showers..baby stuff for baby showers, bridal showers, mother's day teas, you name it. I'm going to share this with friends.

http://katspurrfectboutique.blogspot.com

Kat @ Kat's Almost Purrfect World

Kat's Purrfect Boutique said...

P.S. Can I link this to my blog?

Thanks, Katharine

http://katspurrfectboutique.blogspot.com

Kat @ Kat's Almost Purrfect World

Surge said...

Your blog is on my fav's as it is just my FAVORITE place to be!! You are so creative and talented and I just love the fabulous instructions!! You are an inspiration! I just can't say enough!!!

JC's Loft said...

Great mind's think a like : ) I use to sell these on etsy. I actually just did a post on them http://www.jcsloft.com/2010/09/can-i-do-you-favor.html.

I like the butterfly you added to the sponge!

Andrea @ Mouse in My Pocket said...

I actually ended up here from Pony Tails and Fish Scales' link to your record bowl tutorial, but it was so good, I had to take a look around. This is AWESOME! I'm planning on doing handmade gifts for Christmas this year, so this is really great!

Unknown said...

I love this! Such a fun and whimsical idea, especially for a child's bathroom! Love it

Teresa said...

I wanted to thank you for all your wonderfull ideas. I love viewing your blog and finding new ideas all the time. Thanks again for sharing.

Zen-Zen said...

but how do you fix the scrubbie to the dowel? if you glue it then you cant use it ... ooo its a dilema :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails