Saturday, June 5, 2010

POTTERYBARN-ISH DESKTOP CORKBOARD

so...i know some of you gals might have limited space on your desks or work areas...but you want some kind of way to be able to post small notes or reminders?...well...here ya go...my potterybarn-ish (yeah...i make up my own words) desktop corkboard!...with just replacing the glass with cork...you'll make one super cute note holder that's only the size of a frame!...wow...that sounded a little like an infomercial!...lol...but be honest...is this not something straight off the pages from the pb catalog?...and how about those pushpins?...with help from little birdie secrets...i made those too!...

 
so let's get started!...you'll need...a frame (make sure it's not wall mount and has the little stand thingie)...i used 8 x 10...some cork...a craft knife...and a staple gun...

 
take the paper insert or the glass...put at edge of cork...and cut to size...

 
then...instead of putting the glass back...put the cork in...

 
you want to put the back on now...one thing you'll find...is that you won't be able to use the closures like you normally would...so this is where the staple gun comes into play!...plus...what gal doesn't love power tools?...lol...

 
you'll want to angle the staples...not staple directly into the frame...

 
and voila!...one cute little desktop corkboard!...

 
now to do up those oh so cute pushpins!...

you'll need scissors, a glue gun, thumbtack, scrap paper for the leaves, and a 4" inch square of double sided paper...

 
cut the edges off making it more of a circle...but don't be perfect...the messier...the better!...

 
now...starting at the edge...you'll want to cut in a spiral...go all the way until you reach the center....

 
putting the pattern you want showing facing down...start to fold the edges...going all the way around the spiral...

 
here's what it looks like all done...again...don't be perfect...

 
flip it over...and start rolling...make sure to keep it pretty snug...also...try to keep the bottom edge as even as can be...

 
still rolling...

 
still rolling...

 
done rolling!...now you almost have a finished flower!...

 
see...this little flappie you're left with?...that's what the flower's going to sit on...so...if it's a little bigger than the bud...just trim it up a bit...

 
now slap some hot glue on there!...

 
and press down until it cools!...be careful...they call it hot glue for a reason!...lol...

 
here's what it should look like...

 
now cute some leaves...be free form in your cutting!...

 
crumble 'em up!...

 
attach to the back...

 
put a glob of hot glue down...and slap your thumbtack on there!...

 
and there you go!...one oh so cute flower pushpin!...

 
change up the paper and sizes and you'll have a whole bunch of super cute flowers!...

 
***you know...you don't have to just stop at thumbtacks...you could attach a lapel pin on there...or even a magnet!...

Visit thecsiproject.com

65 comments:

- - Sheryl - - said...

love the flowers! I can this with a magnet too - on those magnets boards everyone is creating!

MsJay said...

Very nice. Love the flowers too.

Jess (aka Sparksgal) said...

What a great idea! Love the flower push pins. :)

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

What a clever idea! I love corkboards..and this is so cute, I'm gonna try it!

You have the BEST ideas!!

Josie0602 said...

What a fabulous idea! I am going to make this for my desk at work!

Stacey said...

Thanks so much for posting such a great project and such wonderful clear instructions. I am sooo gonna try this today!

Bec said...

This would make a really cute grad gift!


http://www.theiheartblog.com

Christina said...

Greenbean you just make the cuttest things! I love it.

I {heart} Nap Time said...

Super cute! Love the flowers! I'd love for you to link this up http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/

Creative Momma said...

Super cute idea/project...thanks for stopping by my blog..glad I found yours too :)

Tracy said...

This is adorable. I love the flower push pins.

Sheri@childmade.com said...

Very pretty! And what a neat twist on the flowers. Thanks for sharing ... I've posted a link.

1 Funky Woman said...

So so cute, I love them! Great paper choice too!

bikitu said...

love the flowers! i posted a link on my blog, hope you don`t mind!?

Anonymous said...

Another fabulous project!!

Lessons Learned said...

ok this is so cute. I was thinking of doing a flower post because i just can't "get it!" But this may be the one. I'll be trying it tonight. Thanks for sharing.

Theresa said...

LOVE THE FLOWERS..... those are really awesome!!!!! Thanx for the instructions!

Raquel SK said...

Very Cute! I always love your choice of colors too!

Nadine said...

Fab idea! I'm going to make some today :)

Snowmanlover said...

YOU did great!!!

Our Family said...

those flowers are so fun. I'm making one today.
thanks for sharing

TheLastOfNine said...

There are so many metal and plastic pushpins out there but this is the cutest thing ever!
Gloria

Gracefully Vintage said...

Oh My, those are adorable, i make some and sell that are very similar, but yours are pretty darn cute- I love those flowers- so creative- Just Awesome, this is why i love these linky things- you find these amazing blogs- Will absalutely become a Follower of yours. Karryann

ScrappinCricut said...

What a great idea! I just love it. I think my 16 year old would love this in her room.

Suzanne said...

Such a cute project and a fabulous tutorial. Thanks so much for sharing!

Ohhh Snap said...

Wow!!! First off, now I really want a staple gun :D. Love the corkboard, and oh my bug those pins!!! TFS : )

TUKI said...

Holy Smokes, how clever is that... I have some super ugly frames that I can totally do this with, lol!! Thanks a million for sharing this great idea!!

Unknown said...

Ssss...weet! Great project and tutorial! Greenbean...you're bringing pizazz to veggies all over the world. ;)
Joy
http://joyslife.com

Kari said...

SUPER cute! Thanks so much for sharing this awesome idea!

www.cricutcraftyclare.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for the tutorial and great pictures of how to! Will definitely be trying this. I am so dispointed that Olive Juice is having trouble while you were guest designer. I think it may have been due it part to your loyal following flocking to the site!

SarahJarnagin said...

Stopping by from The CSI Project... i love this! The thumb pins are soooooo stinkin' adorable!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

Those look great! And I would have never guessed on how to make them. Love it.
Don't forget to link to me please. :)

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Sooo cute! Great way to use a frame.

I would like to invite you to visit the cottage, and join in on the fun for all three of my linky parties:

ASK THE YANKEE - MONDAYS
TIPS & TRICKS TUESDAY
TIME TRAVEL THURSDAY

You can get the details here:

http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/2010/06/brambleberry-cottage-linky-party.html

Hope to see ya there!
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Very cool :)

Sheila aka SassyLady said...

WOW WOW WOW... I just love the flowers on this! They are sooo nice I will have to make them! Thanks for the tutorial.

Lolliscraps said...

Your awesome! You make the cutest things!

Leanne said...

Love this!! Love the flowers and what a neat idea turning a frame into a corkboard! Super, super cute!!

Jena said...

Cute, Cute, Cute!!!!! Seriously LOVE this! I have an old staple gun-hand power but I'm thinking yours looks like it'd be more fun so I just might have to invest in one of those.......TFS!

Cin said...

Carrie
Can's seem to get enough of looking at your stuff. Another Awesome project..... See you on the MB

Shanny said...

I am *in love* with these flowers. I stopped throwing away the paper at my desk at work. Not I cut out circles and make roses. I have a jar of them now in sorts of different paper which makes a really great variety...
TOO CUTE

Hancock said...

new follower. Definitely going to try the push pin project!

Joanna said...

I love these flowers, thanks for sharing, I'm off to try these out! ;)

Jewel Lee said...

spectacular roses!! love them.

217 Creations said...

great tutorial!!!

Amy C said...

This is AWESOME!! I am totally loving those fabulous flower push pins. I recently learned how to make them and they look amazing on the corkboard. Thanks for sharing the fab tutorial!!

Hugs,
Amy ♥

Allison @ little lovelies said...

I love these flowers! I needed a gift box today, so I made a few of these, cut out a monogram letter on my cricut, and glued them on the box. It turned out great, and the flowers were a great touch! Also a great way to use up scrap paper!

KatrinkaJane said...

Wow, I *LOVE* those flowers! Did you come up with them, or are they from somewhere else? The whole thing is super cute. :)

http://katrinkajane.blogspot.com/2010/06/csi-project-martha-stewart.html

Leslie said...

Love how you did the flowers..thanks so much for sharing. I love ALL your Crafty Stuff!!

Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! said...

Very well done tutorial! Thanks for showing us how on Modern Craftswoman Monday! Rory

Kami @ Sweet Charli... said...

Wow this is adorable! I am so glad you linked up with us this week! :) I am your newest follower!

Christy said...

This is soooo cute! I looooove those flowers!!!

Jean said...

I always love your projects. Please stop by my blog, I have a blog award for you.

Nan said...

Brilliant idea. I especially love the pushpins

Keely Livings said...

Fabulous idea! LOVE those flowers! Thanks for sharing.

Rosana Garcia Hess said...

So cute! Great way to use a frame.
Thanks for sharing. I invited my followers to see this Fabulous Idea!!!!
Hugs from Brazil

DonnaMundinger said...

GORGOEUS flowers and your tuts are so clear. Love all of your stuff! xxD

creation said...

hi,
lovely idea and so very cute,i knew abot making those cute little roses but never thought of using them as thumbpins for the display boards.
superb ,i like your blog too.
good going,please do visit me sometimes
greetings
Rachana

playswithpaper said...

These flowers are the bomb! Gonna make these for cards, altered books and more...so simple to make. Thank you so much for sharing!

Jane said...

That is one awesome flower tutorial! Flower pushpins! Too cute!

BellsInSpires said...

i love love love the flower push pins! they are adorable!

From The Heart Crafts said...

Looks like I and a million others love your flower push pins. They are adorable and I would love to make them...some day! Your photos are great also!

Crafty Carrie said...

I made your adorable flower and posted the link from my blog to yours. Thank you so very much for the wondeful ideas. Your blog is my favorite. Don't stop creating.

Lori said...

Great idea and cute corkboard, all your extras make is so darling.

Unknown said...

This is fabulous and I love the idea of rolling the edges of the paper before making the flowers. I have bookmarked this for future inspiration.

Socorro "CoCo" Alaniz said...

Absolutely adorable! I have many paper flowers and now I know what to do with them!

Thanks,
A Wretch in Bonita, CA

Romans 8:28

Related Posts with Thumbnails